Sunday 1 February 2009

First Steps

I decided to start the training programme early so last Sunday, 25 January, I went for a 5.5 mile walk around Draycote Reservoir in Warwickshire. Draycote is owned by Severn Trent Water and the lake is used by sailors, windsurfers, anglers and wildlife enthusiasts, as well as walkers, cyclists and joggers. It's perfect for training and I believe that I will be going back there regularly in the coming months. It's a five mile circuit and has a snack bar there! Parking is easy and it's only an hour away by car for me.

Today, I went to Solihull School (my old school) and back. 7.5 miles in all in bitterly cold weather but I was nice and warm by the time I got back. Plenty of people out jogging, as well as cyclists flashing past. Only problem was, I forgot my Ipod, won't do that again. I can see though that I will be getting through a fair few pairs of socks in this quest, as well as boots. Food for thought.

I have also approached the Dutch Ministry of Defence. My thinking here is that I will be walking in Holland, raising money for the military and I know the Dutch forces are in Afghanistan with the British, so I've decided to give 25% of my money to a Dutch military charity. Here's hoping I get a reply. Does anyone out there know of such a charity?

No comments:

Post a Comment